GrafoDexia

This site is devoted to copyright and issues of 'intellectual property,' particularly the issue's analytical aspects. It also concerns itself with the gap between public perception and the true facts, and with the significant lag time between the coverage on more technical sites and the mainstream press. For site feed, see: http://grafodexia.blogspot.com/atom.xml To see the list of sites monitored to create this site, see: http://rpc.bloglines.com/blogroll?html=1&id=CopyrightJournal

Thursday, May 17, 2007

If I were bored, I might go find posts I made a year or more ago predicting that next-gen DVD would not be any more successful than current-gen DVD in maintaining its copy protection, because it happened again. The reason? DRM is ultimately a loser's game if your goal is to prevent piracy. If, on the other hand, your goal is to control what the average consumer does (e.g. can't fast-forward through previews for other movies, etc.), than it works quite well.

Also, one of the big two US medical journals is now doing Internet polls. If this is all that's come of the Wikipedia concept, then we're really in trouble. Polls* are one of the worst ways of capturing distributed knowledge because they're both non-representative and provide little value from the short tail (the one on the right, not the left). Textual comments are better, because they capture the latter phenomenon, the well-versed reader.

Ari

*I'm distinguishing here between polls, which encourage readers to participate simply to have their voices heard on one issue, and voting systems, which provide more personal incentives to participation (e.g. I vote on IMDB because it helps me keep track of which movies I've liked in the past and might want to see again; on Amazon, I might vote to punish a product which I hated) and also tend to spread out the voting over many items (although I think the incentive issue is the real key here).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home